SKILLET-BAKED FARRO PASTA WITH EGGPLANT
Quick and versatile, this vegetarian recipe is an ideal weeknight meal.
In this dish, farro-based pasta is baked with eggplant, tomatoes, and feta cheese. “This is a veggie-centric meal that’s perfect for busy families,” says Marissa Lippert, RD, a New York City-based nutritionist and owner of Nourish Baby, a food-delivery service for parents and newborns. If you don’t have the ingredients on hand, you can swap in other grains, pastas, and vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 24 minutes
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here for full plan.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup basil leaves, hand torn
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 cups farro pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup (8 ounces) feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a heavy skillet or cast-iron pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomato paste, eggplant, and onion. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn down heat, stir in garlic, and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, red pepper, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in farro pasta, remove from heat, and arrange pieces of feta on top. Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with parsley and lemon zest, if desired.