ROASTED CHICKEN WITH FENNEL-CITRUS SALAD
A date-and-olive dressing adds sweetness to this low-carb meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes, plus 15 minutes resting time
- 1 3- to 4-pound whole chicken
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head fennel, cored and cut into 1-inch wedges
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and thinly sliced crosswise
- 8 dry cured olives, pitted
- ⅓ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 small oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced crosswise into thin slices
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in a large cast iron skillet. Place fennel around the chicken. Drizzle with ¼ cup of the olive oil.
Roast chicken about 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast and thigh reads 160 degrees F. Transfer the fennel to a large bowl and the chicken to a cutting board. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice. Stir in the dates, olives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the orange to the bowl with the fennel and gently toss. Serve chicken with citrus-fennel salad. Drizzle the date-and-olive dressing over top.