MOROCCAN-SPICED CHICKEN AND JEWELED RICE
Dark meat adds juiciness and B vitamins.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
FOR THE RICE:
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for topping
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pistachios
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine rice, water, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the chicken spices with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss chicken thighs with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with the spice mixture. Toss carrots with one tablespoon of oil and salt.
Arrange the chicken and carrots in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes, until chicken registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Stir the dates, pomegranate seeds, parsley, pistachio, and lemon zest and juice into the rice. Serve with chicken thighs.