Chocolate Protein Oats
Fiber-rich zucchini elevates this simple breakfast.
“This recipe transforms classic oats by adding extra greens,” says Lisa Hayim, R.D., a New York City-based nutritionist and founder of The Well Necessities. “You won’t be able to taste the zucchini but you’ll benefit from the pectin found in the vegetable, a type of fiber that has been shown to help improve cardiovascular health.”
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here to view the full plan.
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup shredded zucchini (about ½ a large zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- Place the oats, water, and zucchini in a pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; continue to cook, stirring occasionally until water is absorbed and oats are thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Add cacao powder and stir, then add chocolate protein powder and stir.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to be eaten.
- Place in the microwave for one minute. You can also sweeten with maple syrup and add toppings such as fresh berries if desired.