Vegan Tomato Soup
You don't need cream for this savory recipe.
“This soup captures the fresh aromas of summer in a warming winter dish,” says Oakland, California-based recipe developer Maren Ellingboe. “If you want to go the extra mile, roast the tomatoes, onions, and garlic in the oven before adding them to the slow cooker to draw out even more flavor.”
Serves 6 to 8
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with their juices
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh oregano
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and stir well. Cook on high for three to four hours, or on low for six to eight hours.
Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
Divide into six to eight bowls and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.