Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
Coconut milk gives this soup an excellent consistency.
“This hearty recipe is packed with flavorful, antioxidant-rich spices such as turmeric, cumin, and ginger,” says Oakland, California-based recipe developer Maren Ellingboe. “And lime juice adds bright acidity for the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 lime
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeños, chopped
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin, coriander, chili powder, and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in onions and cook until softened, about five minutes.
Transfer spice and onion mixture, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, curry powder, pepper, tomato paste, coconut milk, and broth to a slow cooker and stir well. Cook on low for six to eight hours, or on high for three to four hours.
Stir in peas and squeeze lime over curry. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with brown rice, cilantro, and jalapeño.