Grilled Sea Scallops
This easy 12-minute recipe gets added umami flavor thanks to a Japanese condiment.
"The trick to grilling scallops is to leave them in the shell," says chef Adam Geringer-Dunn of Brooklyn's Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co. Pro tip: If can't get your hands on live scallops, you can substitute with large shucked sea scallops (size 10/20 or U10) and use two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil in place of the shell.
- 4 tablespoons of butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon yuzu kosho paste (red or green)
- ½ tablespoon tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 4 live sea scallops, cleaned with top shell removed but still in the bottom shell
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
Heat a grill to high heat.
Melt butter in a small saucepan. Then add the yuzu kosho and tamari and stir to combine, about 5 minutes.
Gently place scallops on the grill, shell side-down. Spoon butter sauce over scallops and grill until plump and just cooked through, about five minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.