RAINBOW RICE BOWL WITH PEANUT SAUCE AND TEMPEH
This hearty meal features a bevy of fresh and cooked vegetables.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes, plus time for cooking rice and boiling eggs
Click here for more recipes in this series.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 red Thai chile, chopped (seeds and pith removed, if you prefer less heat)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, optional
- Kosher salt
FOR THE BOWL:
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced into ½-inch wedges
- ½ English cucumber, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 large carrots, spiralized or sliced into matchsticks
- 4 soft-boiled eggs
- 4 radishes, sliced into thin matchsticks
- Sliced jalapeño, for serving, optional (seeds and pith removed if you prefer less heat)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- In a food processor, combine peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, Thai chile, garlic, honey, and fish sauce, if using, and pulse until smooth. The sauce should be pourable, so add water by the tablespoon, if needed. Season with salt.
- Season the tempeh with salt and pepper. In a large, high-sided skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high. Add the tempeh and cook, turning, until golden—about 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the green beans. Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until tender, about 4 minutes. If the pan turns dark, add a tablespoon or two of water and cover again. Remove from the heat.
Divide the rice and cabbage among four bowls. Arrange the green beans, tomato, cucumber, and carrots over the cabbage and rice and season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked tempeh and soft-boiled eggs. Garnish with radish, jalapeño, if using, and cilantro. Drizzle with peanut sauce and serve.