DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
Almond butter adds an extra-rich texture to this vegan take.
Instead of the usual butter and sugar, this creamy chocolate frosting gets its richness from coconut oil and almond butter and sweetness from maple syrup. The icing, from the cookbook Sweet Laurel: Recipes for Whole Food, Grain-Free Desserts, makes a delicious accompaniment to a chocolate, peanut butter, or vanilla cake.
Makes 1 Cup
Makes 1 Cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Click here for more recipes in this series.
- 4 ounces 100% cacao unsweetened baking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil, solid
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup almond butter, store-bought or homemade
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk or full-fat coconut milk, plus more as needed
- In a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the chocolate and coconut oil, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat. Slowly add the maple syrup and stir to incorporate. Allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a medium bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat in the almond butter until a thick frosting forms. Add the almond milk and stir with a spatula until smooth.
- For a creamy, almost pourable frosting, use immediately. For a fluffy frosting, refrigerate for at least eight hours, then bring to room temperature and beat with an electric mixer until spreadable. Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from Sweet Laurel. Copyright © 2018 by LAUREL GALLUCCI AND CLAIRE THOMAS. Photographs copyright © 2018 by CLAIRE THOMAS. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.