SWEET POTATO–KALE SALAD PIZZA
This hearty crust gets topped with crisp, lemony greens.
Rolled oats and sweet potato come together in this crust which has a crisp, substantial texture. “I love salad on a pizza,” says New York City–based recipe developer Laura Rege, who uses a mound of baby kale tossed with lemon-oil dressing as the topping.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 ½ ounces Fontina cheese, shredded on the large holes of a box grater to make 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, plus finely grated zest and wedges for serving
- 2 packed cups baby kale
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush the parchment paper with olive oil. In a food processor, pulse the sweet potato, oats, and salt until very finely chopped and the mixture starts to come together, about 30 seconds. Add the egg and pulse until combined.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the prepared baking sheet and, using a spatula, spread into a 10-inch circle about ⅛-inch thick. Be sure to spread evenly—if the center is too thick, it won’t cook through. Brush the top of the circle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and bake until golden on the edges, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once the crust is baked, remove the baking sheet from the oven and, using the parchment paper, carefully flip the crust upside down. Remove the parchment paper and discard. Then, brush the crust with 2 tablespoons olive oil and evenly sprinkle with Fontina.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and golden in spots, about 5-7 minutes more. Then, remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Add the kale, toss to coat, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the kale salad on top of the crust and sprinkle with the almonds and Parmesan. Garnish with some lemon zest, slice, and serve.