LOW-CARB MARGHERITA PIZZA
Featuring the classic combination of tomato, mozzarella, and basil
The original Margherita pizza gets a gluten-free reboot thanks to a bright green spinach crust. “It’s filled with iron and protein,” says New York City–based recipe developer Laura Rege, who tops the base with aromatic tomato sauce and thinly sliced mozzarella cheese. Fresh basil leaves add a fragrant note to this colorful dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated garlic, from 1 small clove
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a food processor, pulse the spinach and shredded mozzarella until finely chopped. Add the egg and pulse until fully combined.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread into a 10-inch circle, a little less than ⅛-inch thick. Be sure to spread evenly—if the center is too thick, it won’t cook through. Bake until the crust is set and puffs in center, about 17 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, in a small bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes, garlic, and a pinch each of oregano and crushed red pepper. Season with salt.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and increase the heat to 500 degrees F. Then, spread the tomato sauce over the crust, leaving a ½-inch border. Evenly top with sliced mozzarella.
- Once the oven has reached 500 degrees F, return the baking sheet to the oven. Bake the pizza until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Top with basil, slice, and serve.