BROCCOLI PIZZA WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
This keto-friendly crust features hearty toppings.
Finely chopped broccoli, mozzarella, and egg create a fiber-filled crust that’s the ideal base for chicken sausage, bell pepper, and creamy ricotta cheese. “Pepperoncini and crushed red pepper add a nice tangy bite and a little bit of heat to rev up the metabolism,” explains New York City–based recipe developer Laura Rege. A garnish of grated Parmesan cheese rounds out this gluten-free pizza.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- One 10-ounce bag frozen organic broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 raw chicken sausages (8 ounces), casings removed
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the broccoli until very finely chopped. Scrape into a clean kitchen towel and wrap to enclose. Over the sink, squeeze to release as much moisture as possible.
- Return the broccoli to the food processor and add mozzarella and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Pulse until mixture is combined, then add the egg and pulse until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer the broccoli mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula or your fingers, press evenly into a 10-inch circle, a little less than ⅛-inch thick. Bake until just lightly golden around the edges, about 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the sausage, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and golden, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Once the crust is golden, remove the baking sheet from the oven and increase the heat to 500 degrees F.
- Leaving a ½-inch border, dollop the ricotta on top of the crust, then add the cooked sausage, pepperoncini, roasted red bell pepper, and Parmesan. Return to the oven and bake until brown in spots, 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, slice, and serve.