Try fermenting with this beginner-friendly recipe.
Makes 4 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus 3 days of fermenting time
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here for full plan.
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup shaved carrot ribbons
- 1 cup shaved breakfast, red, or watermelon radish
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon diced Thai bird’s eye chili
- 3 tablespoons minced scallion
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrot, radish, and salt together. Let sit for 1 to 2 hours, then rinse the vegetables.
In a blender or food processor, puree sugar, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, tamari, vinegar, chili, and scallion until smooth. Pour on top of the vegetables until they're completely submerged, then massage them.
- Pack vegetables in a glass mason jar or airtight container, making sure they’re covered in liquid with 1 to 2 inches of space at the top. (You may want to place a small dish on top of the vegetables to keep them submerged.) Leave the lid off.
- Cover the jar with a cheesecloth or towel and let it sit on the counter for 3 to 5 days. Remove towel, place a lid on the jar, and store for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.