PEANUT BUTTER PUFFED RICE BARS
This version is lower in sugar than the store-bought kind.
Makes: 14 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour freeze time
Cook time: 5 minutes
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here for full plan.
- 3 cups unsweetened puffed rice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened large coconut flakes
- ½ cup peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup agave
- ⅓ cup organic peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a mixing bowl, combine puffed rice, oats, coconut flakes, peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, chocolate chunks, orange zest, and salt.
In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugar, and agave to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Whisk in peanut butter and vanilla. Cool 3 to 5 minutes, then pour over the puffed rice mixture.
Spread the mixture in a buttered 12-by-12 baking dish. Use a spatula to press flat, then sprinkle flaky sea salt on top. Freeze for 1 hour, then cut into 14 squares.