CHICKPEA FLATBREAD WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND KALE
Skip the cheese for a gluten-free, vegan recipe.
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- ½ butternut squash cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups packed torn Tuscan kale leaves
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing one time, until just tender and lightly golden, about 25 minutes.
- Add the kale on top and roast 10 minutes, until wilted. Remove from oven and let cool.
Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Place a large cast-iron skillet in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk chickpea flour with the water, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt until a smooth batter forms.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour the batter into skillet and top with the butternut squash and kale. Bake until set and edges are crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using). Season with flaky salt and pepper. Slice and serve.