BALM & TONIC
Rosemary adds a twist to this non-alcoholic version of the classic cocktail.
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour cooling time
Cook time: 6 minutes
- 4 teaspoons juniper berries, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sugar in the raw or Stevia (optional)
- 2 strips lemon peel, about 3-inches long each
- 1 4-inch sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed, lightly crushed
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch pink sea salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon balm tincture (such as Botanic Choice Lemon Balm Liquid Extract)
- Tonic water
- 4 lime wedges
- 4 rosemary sprigs
Set a fine mesh sieve over a 2-cup measuring cup. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water, juniper berries, sugar or Stevia (if using), lemon peel, rosemary, coriander seed, cinnamon and salt to a boil. Boil 6 minutes, until reduced to 1½ cups. Strain the mixture and discard the solids.
- Transfer the juniper mixture into the refrigerator. Let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Fill 4 highball glasses with ice. Stir lemon balm tincture into the juniper mixture. Add ¼ cup of the drink to each glass. Top with tonic water and stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and rosemary sprig.