Marinated Watermelon and Cucumber Salad
This hydrating dish is dressed with a shallot vinaigrette.
Marinating the watermelon in a shallot vinaigrette intensifies its flavor, says Denver-based recipe developer Julia Heffelfinger. “This salad is so refreshing to eat on the beach or in the hot sun, since the watermelon is very cooling,” says Heffelfinger.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinade time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 5-pound seedless baby watermelon, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 pound Persian cucumbers, chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed small dill sprigs
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, olive oil, shallot, coriander, and red pepper together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the watermelon and cucumber; toss gently. Let sit for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Drain the marinade from the bowl. Serve or store in an airtight container the refrigerator, for up to 5 hours. Right before serving, fold in the dill and season with salt and pepper.