Savory Porridge with Mushroom Bacon
White miso gives this dish its umami flavor.
“This recipe swaps out traditional rice for cauliflower rice, adding in extra fiber and vitamin C and K,” says Lisa Hayim, R.D., a New York City-based nutritionist and founder of The Well Necessities. For extra protein, she suggests topping the dish with a poached egg.
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here to view the full plan.
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup mushroom bacon
- Place the broth in a medium-size pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the miso and garlic, stirring constantly.
- Add in the cauliflower rice and bring the heat back up to a boil until almost all of the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Toss in the mushroom bacon and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Warm in the microwave for one minute, adding an additional 30 seconds as needed until desired temperature is achieved. Top with a poached egg if you choose.