A vegan take on the breakfast staple
“When we substitute mushrooms for bacon, we cut down on animal-based saturated fat and associated calories, while bulking up on nutrients without losing any flavor,” says Lisa Hayim, R.D., a New York City-based nutritionist and founder of The Well Necessities.
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here to view the full plan.
- 4 cups of fresh shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl, toss the mushrooms with coconut oil, paprika, and salt.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are dry and browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool then store in an airtight container in the fridge.