ZESTY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SPREAD
Skip the avocado toast and try this instead.
“This healthy DIY condiment is fantastic on a slice of whole wheat multigrain bread topped with a four-minute egg,” says Lauren Gerrie, co-owner of bigLITTLE Get Together, a New York-based culinary company. The fermented chilli paste, gochuchang, adds terrific heat as well as a dose of gut-friendly probiotics.
Yields 2 cups
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ⅛ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the squash until fully combined.
- Coat the squash with the mixture and place in an airtight plastic bag or container in the fridge and allow to rest overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet tray with aluminum foil. Shake the squash well, then pour the mixture onto the tray and bake for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor until smooth and jam-like. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Spread over sourdough or whole wheat multigrain toast, or enjoy with crudités.