Mediterranean Salmon Salad
Add heart-healthy fish to this hybrid of a Greek and French dish.
Science shows that people who call Blue Zones home live longer, and one reason for this is their Mediterranean diet. This recipe from the chef duo behind The Modern Proper incorporates some of its staple ingredients (found in Greek and Niçoise salads) such as tangy olives, sharp feta, and omega 3-rich salmon.
- 3 baby potatoes, cut into ½-inch slices
- 8 green beans, trimmed
- 3 ounces salmon, skinless
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup olive bar offerings mixed (tomatoes, garlic, olives, peppers etc.)
For the salad
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1 4-minute egg
- ¼ avocado, skin on
- 2 to 4 marinated peppers (from the olive bar)
- 4 to 6 olives
- 6 to 10 capers (from the olive bar)
- 2 to 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small whole wheat pita bread
- Sea salt
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 1 small garlic head, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of oregano
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the parchment paper by folding a large, 18 inch-long piece in half and cutting it into an oval.
- Place the potatoes and green beans onto one half of the parchment, top with the salmon and olive bar offerings, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Fold the parchment paper over the salmon and vegetables. Seal the edges together, by folding it closed beginning at one corner, working your way to the other corner making small folds repeatedly.
- Place the parchment pouch on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on the center rack in the heated oven.
Remove the pouch from the oven, open the parchment, and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place the salmon, veggies, and olive bar offerings into an airtight container
- In another small container, place all dressing ingredients and shake until combined.
- Place the spinach, cucumbers, feta, 4-minute egg, and ¼ avocado in a separate airtight container alongside another one with the marinated peppers, olives, capers, and tomatoes. Store everything in the fridge.
at your desk
- Top spinach with the potatoes, green beans, and salmon. Slice the cucumber and the egg and place them on the salad along with the feta, marinated peppers, olives, and capers. Drizzle with dressing.
- Dice the avocado and tomatoes and toss them together with a squeeze of lemon juice to enjoy with the pita bread.