Easily add crunch to your favorite recipes.
The secret to this simple topping from the chef duo behind The Modern Proper is the myriad of spices including cinnamon, clove, and garlic.
This recipe is part of our meal prep series. Click here for all the details.
Yields 1½ to 2 cups
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 4 cups boiling water
- Whisk vinegar and seasonings in a large jar until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Place onion slices in mesh strainer over your sink or bowl. Slowly pour boiling water over the onions. While still hot add to vinegar mixture in jar and gently stir.
- Let sit for at least one hour before using, but it is best if left in the fridge overnight.