Brown Rice Nori Bowl
Pickled ginger takes this veggie-packed dish up a notch.
Seaweed (nori) is rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agents as well as vitamin B12. “This seasoned rice gets plenty of umami flavor thanks to dried nori,” says Mortimer, who co-founded The Modern Proper with fellow chef Holly Erickson.
For the Seasoned Rice:
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- I 8X8 sheet dried nori, cut into 4 long, thin strips
For the Bowl:
- Place all ingredients for the seasoned rice in a rice cooker and set to cook. Alternatively, place all of the ingredients into a saucepan with one cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer with a tight lid until all water has absorbed and rice has cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When rice has cooled, place it in an airtight container alongside the miso-roasted cauliflower.
- In a separate container, place the avocado next to the edamame, carrot ribbons, cucumber, cilantro, and sesame seeds. Place the ginger and sriracha mayo in two small separate containers, then store all of the containers in the fridge.
At Your Desk:
- Heat the rice and cauliflower in a microwave for one minute or serve at room temperature.
- Dice the avocado and cucumber and place in a bowl with the rice. Top with edamame, carrot ribbons, cilantro, and drizzle with sriracha mayo.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve alongside pickled ginger.