Recipe: Celeriac and Watercress Soup
When you're on-the-go, New York-based chef Lauren Gerrie suggests tucking a Thermos of this soup into your bag or backpack. The watercress and celeriac (also called celery-root) are nutritional powerhouses that will give you a green juice-esque boost.
- 1-1 lb. celeriac, cut into large chunks
- 2 cans organic unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass, pounded
- 4 tsp salt
- 1-4 to 6 oz bunch watercress, rinsed and trimmed
- ¼ cup honey
- Juice of one Meyer lemon
- Ground hemp seeds
- Coconut yogurt
In a medium pot over high heat, cover celeriac with 1½ cans coconut milk. Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass and salt; cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until celeriac is fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool slightly, 10 minutes. Discard lemongrass and, working in batches, add remaining ½ can coconut milk and purée celeriac-coconut milk mixture until smooth. Again, working in batches, add watercress, honey and juice and purée until smooth.
- Serve soup hot or cold, garnished with a sprinkle of hemp seeds and coconut yogurt.