Tone everything from head to toe with just 12 reps of these 12 high-intensity moves from group fitness manager Jenn Hogg.
To reap the rewards—increased calorie burn, strength, power, blissful endorphin high—truncated workouts must be insanely intense. So, we asked a team of Equinox trainers and instructors what they would do with just 20 minutes. Here is the latest in the series.
The Pro: Jenn Hogg, group fitness manager for Equinox Gold Coast, ACE-certified trainer, certified group fitness instructor (TRX, Kettlebell Concepts, Indo-Row, Schwinn Cycling, Bosu, Circular Strength Training, Flow Fit and Ageless Mobility), six-time medalist with the U.S. Aerobic Gymnastics Team
The Club: Gold Coast, Chicago
The Workout: The “Dirty Dozen” formula—12 total body moves performed 12 times each, created by Senior National Group Fitness Creative Manager Lashaun Dale—is a quick, efficient way to hit multiple muscle groups in a single routine. “Add in a 3-minute jump rope interval at the beginning and end, and you’ve got a killer strength and cardio workout that targets every inch of your body while helping to increase your muscular endurance and blast fat,” says Hogg. All you need is a pair of challenging dumbbells and a jump rope.
Minutes 0-3: Warm-up
Jump rope (whatever style you choose), loosening up your joints and creating some heat in your body.
Minutes 3-15: The “Dirty Dozen” Set: Perform 12 reps of each move.
1. Clock Lunges: Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on hips. Lunge right leg forward, to 12:00; return to start. Repeat, this time lunging right leg to 3:00, and then to 5:00. Switch sides and repeat, lunging left leg to 12:00, 9:00 and 7:00.
2. Inchworm Plank Lifts: Stand with feet and legs together and bend forward from waist, placing palms on floor in front of you. Walk hands out to full plank position, and then extend right arm forward, left leg back. Switch sides and repeat; walk hands back up to start.
3. Speed Skaters: Stand with feet together, arms by sides. Leading with right leg, leap up and over to right, landing on right foot first, then left. Repeat to left.
4. Rotating Reverse Lunges: Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell horizontally in front of you with both hands, elbows bent by sides. Lunge back with right leg and rotate torso to right; return to start. Switch sides and repeat.
5. Thruster Press into Triceps Extension: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell horizontally in front of you with both hands, elbows bent by sides. Squat, and then press back up to standing, extending arms overhead. Bend elbows to lower weight behind you; extend arms. Return to start.
6. Curtsy Lunge with Weighted Side Bend: Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell horizontally in front of you with both hands, elbows bent by sides. Lunge right leg behind and to left of left leg, like a curtsy, while simultaneously extending weight overhead and leaning upper body slightly to the left. Return to start; switch sides and repeat.
7.Hinging Rows: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides. Bend knees slightly and hinge forward from hips so upper body is almost parallel with floor. Bend elbows behind you as you pull weights up to chest. Squeeze shoulder blades together; release.
8. Reverse Lunge with Prayer Press: Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, hands in front of chest, palms facing you, elbows out to sides. Lunge back with right leg as you press weights forward at shoulder level in front of you. Return to start; switch legs and repeat.
9. Single Leg Deadlift with Rear Delt Fly: Stand on right foot, left foot lifted slightly off floor, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides. Hinge forward from hips, keeping back flat and abs engaged. When you’ve gone as far as possible maintaining a flat back, lift dumbbells out to sides at shoulder level with elbows slightly bent. Squeeze shoulder blades together; lower and return to start. Switch sides and repeat.
10.Tabletop with Alternating Knee Crunches: Start on all-fours, with knees under hips and palms under shoulders. Extend right leg behind you, and then bring knee into chest, return to start. Switch legs and repeat.
11.Bridges with Hip Abduction/Adduction: Lie face-up with knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms by sides. Press hips up toward ceiling, forming a diagonal line from knees to shoulders. Extend right leg diagonally in front of you, and then press leg out to side; return to start. Switch legs and repeat.
12.Forearm Plank with Leg Lifts: Start in plank position, with legs extended behind you, elbows under shoulders, forearms on floor, abs engaged, back flat. Lift right leg a few inches toward ceiling; lower. Switch legs and repeat.
Minutes 15-18: Cooldown
Jump rope (whatever style you choose), moving at a slightly faster pace than during the warm-up.
Minutes 18-20: Stretch
Roll out with a foam roller.