Warm Diet Essentials: Chicken Tinola
Warm broth-based soups and stews like this one also aid with hydration.
Share This Article
This dish, a favorite of the Philippines, is beloved by the Hemsley sisters for its health-restoring powers. They advise using homemade chicken broth and serving with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Ingredients for the Chicken Tinola:
2 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
3 large onions, diced
8 garlic cloves, diced
Thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger (about 1 1⁄2oz), unpeeled if organic, finely diced or grated
1 large chicken or 6 large chicken thighs
6 large carrots, chopped into medium chunks
2 quarts (half a gallon) bone broth or water
3 large zucchinis, chopped into medium chunks
1 large green or white cabbage, shredded
Sea salt and white or black pepper
Ingredients for the Tamari Lemon Dressing:
4 tbsp. tamari
4 tbsp. lemon juice
Large pinch of white pepper (or black)
1. Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a large saucepan (large enough to fit a whole chicken, if using) over a medium heat and gently sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger until soft and translucent, but not browned.
2. Add the chicken and carrot to the pan and pour over the bone broth to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat immediately and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and add the zucchini. Simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the chicken into large pieces using a knife and fork, return to the pan and season.
4. Stir through the shredded cabbage and turn off the heat.
5. Mix the ingredients for the tamari lemon dressing together in a small bowl. Serve alongside the tinola and let everyone add a teaspoon or so to taste.
Get more warm diet recipes from the Hemsley sisters:
Recipe adapted from The Art of Eating Well: Hemsley and Hemsley