Warm Diet Essentials: Broccoli, Pea, and Basil Soup
This twist on a favorite feels almost like a pesto.
Share This Article
2 tbsp. ghee
2 large onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
Large pinch of dried oregano
2 3⁄4 oz fresh basil (pull the leaves from the stalks and roughly chop the stalks)
3 1⁄3 lb. broccoli, slice the stalks and roughly chop the florets
6 c. bone broth or vegetable stock
18 oz frozen peas
Juice of 1 lemon
Extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil, to serve
Parmesan, sea salt and black pepper
1. Heat the ghee in a saucepan with a lid over a low heat and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic, celery, oregano, and chopped basil stalks and stir.
3. Add the broccoli, broth, and a large pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
4. Bring to a medium simmer, pop on the lid, and simmer gently for 10–15 minutes until the broccoli stalks and florets are just tender (you don’t want to overcook the broccoli).
5. Remove from the heat and add the peas, basil leaves, and half the lemon juice.
6. Blend the soup (in batches if needs be), adding a little more liquid if it’s too thick. Check for seasoning and finish with an extra squeeze of lemon juice if needed.
7. Serve each bowl with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil and a shaving of parmesan.
Get more warm-diet recipes from the Hemsley sisters:
Recipe Adapted from The Art of Eating Well: Hemsley and Hemsley